Sunday, January 17, 2010

Locals lost again to "foreigners talents"; this time in football

In the press conference held just hours ago by S-league, they announced the identity of the 12th team for the new season.

To the surprise and amazement of all the S-league fans, the winner of the coveted final spot went to Beijing Guo-An, rather than the highly committed and motivated, successful in previous 2 season, and now going ALL LOCAL, Yishun Super Reds (Super Reds).

Being a member of the hardcore local football fan forum, KallangRoar.com , the anger and disbelieve is evident.

I understand that this blog, is meant as a political blog, but I cant rub off the connection of how Football Association of Singapore (FAS) & S-League is ran, with how the Singapore Government works.

This probably "unnoticable" saga (very few Sleague fans) is in my opinion, a bigger indication of our government policy and how foreigners and money is rated way higher of the development of our local and very own Singaporeans.

If any one from the media whom read my this post; I strongly urge you to condemn the selection of 2 foreign teams over a local team.

1 comment:

Carol Soon said...

Dear blogger of Majulah,

Let me first apologise for leaving my request on your comments page, as I couldn't reach you through any other way. I am a PhD candidate from the Communications and New Media programme at the National University of Singapore, and my research examines blogging and collective action. "Majulah" came up in my sampling process and I am writing to you to seek your valued participation in a survey.

WHAT is this study about?
Without saying too much to bias your responses, my study concerns bloggers' online usage, their social networks and their participation/non-participation in activism. Whether you have participated or have not participated in any activism activity, your responses will be vital in helping me gather empirical evidence on blogging and its effects.

WHY should you help?
There has been much talk in the media and in the parliament on the rise of blogging and online discourse. But do blogging really impact civic participation? How does it do so? Your responses to the simple survey will go a long way in contributing to the nascent field of research on blogging in Singapore.

HOW can you help?
The survey involves easy-to-answer questions (e.g. Yes/No, ratings of “1” to “5”) and will take only about 20 minutes of your time. Based on your preference, I can conduct the survey via email (or any other ways you prefer). Just send me an email and I will forward you the survey form.

Please help!
Bearing in mind the potential difficulties in getting an adequate sample for such a study, I would like to stress that every single participation counts. In addition, this study has been approved by the NUS Ethical Review Committee. You have my complete assurance that all your responses will be kept strictly confidential and your identity anonymous.

Do visit http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cnm/research%20students/2006_grad_carol.htm for a brief write-up of my profile (please cut and paste if the link doesn't work). Being a student with no funding support, I am bearing all research costs and appealing to your goodwill (and hopefully curiosity?) to take part in this study.

I look forward to hearing positively from you soon. Thank you for reading this and giving my request your due consideration.

Best regards,

Carol Soon
(Emails: wtsoon@nus.edu.sg and carol_soon@yahoo.com.sg)