Wednesday, August 10, 2011

National Day flagcounts...


Its the National Day, but looking out from my window, at all the HDB flats - look at the number of household whom got hang the national flag, you know something is wrong....

Someone (a friend) commented, "if singaporean only hang during the national day, so does it mean they love the country only for a day?"

But is the question so simplistic?

There is 2 "simple" explanation: Either ppl dun bother to put (in an innocent way, like what happened to my household), or in a more political sense, ppl arent "thriving" nowadays.

"is the question so simplistic?"


To suggest that what was mentioned by my friend: is to move the entire talk down to a specific that is not debatable and is presumptuous on that the only reason ppl hang is because they love the country. I sincerely believe most Singaporeans loves Singapore a lot.

I'm making the statement (my status update) because it is something I have been observing closely over the years (as I'm a super patriot); from the days we first started having this flag hanging thing in the 90s, where everybody hangs up the flag (literally everyone voluntarily) - coincidentally a time where people are generally very happy with the government, and people are happy in general.

"This year is the one of the worst I observed, where on National Day, only 5% of the ppl are hanging the flag"


But over the years, are things start to get gloomier, prices rises, life get more difficult, incomes/salaries are stiff... you noticed less and less ppl starting to put up the flags. (although we cannot deny the every possibility that in the 90s, hanging flag is popular because of it novelty or maybe because there are too many foreigners nowadays whom dun really care, living in the hdb estates).

This year is the one of the worst I observed, where on National Day, only 5% of the ppl are hanging the flag (based on my vantage point outside my house). Those which have near 100% hanged are always because the RC members come and hang themselves (and they stole my flag when they collected all their flags, along with my one I hanged myself - a few national days ago...)

"and they (RC members) stole my flag when they collected all their flags, along with my one I hanged myself - a few national days ago..."


Something is obviously wrong. The question that beckons is, what's wrong?

No comments: